Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Edinburgh Castle

On a drizzly afternoon, after our first day at Buckley's class, we all headed up to Edinburgh Castle. This is one of the main tourist attractions in the city because of its centralized location. After reading Bob Morris' article on the history of the castle I knew a bit of information previous to my visit. Looking at the Castle from the outside it looks very beautiful and stands apart from the city. The class waited in a long "Cedar Point" style line that progressed rather slowly. Finally, we were able to explore the castle. When I entered, they were about to shoot the cannon off, which was pretty cool. Apparently, they do that every hour. I took some landscape pictures of the city and a few on the fake cannons that they had set up. Then Kevin and Kelly and I went inside to see the Crown jewel and the stone of destiny. I was very claustrophobic in the room because there were so many people squeezed in together. Besides the cool view and the cannon shooting off, the castle really did not impress me all that much. Previously, the class learned that before the castle was open to the public, it used to be a military barrack storing supplies. The curators of the castle made it seem inauthentic to me.  The castle was also smaller than I imagined and had a few add-on buildings that were not there when the actual castle was built. The other castles I visited while in Edinburgh were so much better and did not have the fake reproduction feel that Edinburgh castle had.

No comments:

Post a Comment