Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Getting Around Edinburgh and Abroad: Trains, Planes, Boats, Buses, & Pedicabs


Maneuvering around Edinburgh and abroad was much different than in the states. To travel long distances I took trains and used a Britrail pass. If you are going to be doing any traveling within the UK and Ireland I would recommend purchasing this pass before you get to Scotland (you are unable to purchase the Britrail pass in the UK). They are a lot cheaper than buying individual tickets and you have the flexibility to jump on and off the train whenever you want. I also flew inter-continentally to Amsterdam one weekend. It was great seeing how locals fly and I improved my independence by flying to a foreign country that speaks a different language. Boats were a popular use of transportation while I was traveling though the highlands of Scotland. Kevin, Kelly, & I took a ferry over to the Isle of Mull and it was a gorgeous ride. We saw lots of lighthouses, castle ruins, and lush views of the coast. We used buses everyday traveling in the city of Edinburgh. Local city transit was made very easy and I enjoyed taking the bus around the city. I got to know certain routes and was pretty proud of myself by the end of the trip. Dr. Buckley purchased a bus pass for every student so we could take any bus throughout Edinburgh, which was very nice. Last but not least, the most fun mode of transportation was the pedicab. Laura, Kelly, and I had one wild ride one night on a pedicab that I won't ever forget =]. Overall, these modes of transportation are very different from a typical day in athens and our most familiar way if getting around is an automobile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment