Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Greeting: Travels Through Scotland & Beyond

This blog is dedicated to my travels throughout Scotland and a few beyond Scotland. I am journaling for an independent study credit from Ohio University. I have been studying at the University of Edinburgh for the past five weeks, from June 19-July 22, 2011.


A wee bit about me:

This is my third year at Ohio, and quite a good one thus far. I have throughly enjoyed myself in Edinburgh this summer, even with few bumps in the road. At Ohio University I am a Communication studies major in the Scripps college, with a focus in Environmental studies as well as a Political Science minor. From a young age I have been interested in nature, which has progressed into a deeper appreciation for living and eager to teach others in my community a more sustainable lifestyle. I have carried this interest into my college career. Academically I am interested in and enjoy: writing, keeping up on politics, environmental issues, watching documentaries, and reading current academic journals geared towards sustainability. According to my personal interests, I chose a study abroad program that would fit nicely. Dr. Geoff Buckley, from the Geography department at Ohio, created a program called Edinburgh: City and Environment. This program contains two classes and an independent study which totals to 9 credit hours. The first class I took was History of Edinburgh taught by a local Edinburgh Uni professor, Dr. Richard Roger. The second class was City and Environment taught by Dr. Buckley, that included knowledge of how living sustainable works wonders in an urban environment. This can be the key for cities to implement more sustainable and environmentally friendly practices into an everyday urban lifestyle. The focus of our class contains aspects of: urban ecology, planning, infrastructure, community gardens, community compost facilities, waste and recycling facilities, and environmental justice- all functioning within the urban atmosphere of Edinburgh.


Edinburgh is such an unbelievably beautiful and progressive city to study and live. I am lucky to have this opportunity to gain outside knowledge as well as a bit of field work.


Exerts of this blog will be taken to improve the environment of the program for future years to come. Students next year will be able to read about our favorite and least favorite places/experiences to make sure they have a quality trip and fun filled!

Posted entries are in no particular order to my most or least favorable destination, only the one's that I thought were most notable. Cheers!


Portobello Beach, Scotland. This location is where my great grandmother was from.

No comments:

Post a Comment