Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Arthur's Seat

Arthur's Seat, located in Holyrood park, is the main peak of this highlighted landscape. Our dorms, Pollock Halls, were bordered right next to this land formation. I learned that volcanoes approximately 350 million years ago, formed Arthur's Seat. I climbed Arthur's seat and it is not that technical of a journey. It had the most beautiful views of Edinburgh, including the Castle which is about a mile away situated on a mound. On the other end lies the Firth of Fourth body of water which boarders the city of Edinburgh. The seat is adjoined by Salsbury Crag and can be climbed from any direction. This is a popular tourist destination, but I also enjoyed the exercise I got out of the climb! I learned a lot about the history of this beautiful and green land formation from the History of Scotland Museum on the first floor. This floor talks about the geology and mythology of Aurthur's seat which I found most interesting. I also learned more about the formation from our park ranger in Holyrood Park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment