Saturday, July 23, 2011

Oban

Our last weekend in Edinburgh, the group planned another weekend getaway for quality bonding time. We decided to go to Oban located on the western banks of the Highlands. Dr. Roger recommended this destination because of its exquisite seafood, coastal views, and short ferry ride to Isle of Mull. Michelle arranged for us to stay in a backpackers hostel right in the town of Oban. When we arrived to the hostel it was decent and had a really cool community atmosphere, with a few strange and chatty travelers to accompany us. Oban was nice but I don’t recommend a college student to visit, especially at the end of the study abroad program when money flow is sparse. This is a tourist destination and can be very expensive compared to Edinburgh. I had to try the seafood while I was there. Apparently, it has been deemed “the best sea food in Scotland”. I tried a mixed cocktail of mussels and prawns and it hit the spot. Activity wise, there was not much to do in Oban that did not cost money. Almost anywhere there was an attraction, you needed some form of transportation to get there. Boat tours cost money as well. Other than going to Isle of Mull, I did not do a whole lot in terms of activities because I was low on money at the time. On friday night most of the gang met up at an awesome whole in the wall pub right down the street from our hostel. There was a band playing and we all had a great time. Overall, I thought Oban was beautiful but I am not so sure its a place that attracts many young people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment